Effective November 1, 2015, all residential permits submitted will be inspected by Lower Macungie Township, instead of a 3rd party inspector. This will simplify scheduling your inspection by only needing to call our office at (610) 966-4343 for all residential permits. All residential permits submitted before Nov 1st, please call Keycodes at (610)866-9663 for electrical, plumbing and mechanical inspections. We look forward to offering this expedited service to our residents.
Mandatory Inspections - revised 2/10/14
- Footer Inspection - Soil Erosion Methods in Place
- Footer – 9” deep – 16” to 18” wide – Reinforcement in place –Formed & ready for concrete Must be virgin soil; Engineered soil tests when required.
- Must be approved by building inspector prior to scheduling inspection.
- Frost line 36 inches.
- Foundation Inspection - before Backfill
- After wall is stripped
- Tie holes plugged with roofing cement
- Wall coated with damp proofing
- Straps/Bolts placed for plates
- Framing Inspection (Construction plans to be on-site)
- First: Rough plumbing, mechanical and electric must be approved
- Second: Fire-stopping and fire caulking must be completed at time of frame inspection
- Insulation - Prior to wall covering. Windows must have insulation value stickers attached. ResChecks must be on property.
- Wallboard - Prior to spackling & painting.
- Final Inspection
- First: Final Electric & Plumbing, Sprinklers (if applicable), Mechanical must be approved. Curb Side Cleanouts must be cut to grade & capped prior to final plumbing inspection.
- Second: Final building. Job must be complete with all appurtenances operational prior to Occupancy. Driveways paved or $1,000 escrow paid for Temporary Certificate of Occupancy.
- Third: Property pins must be in place by builder.
Certificate of Occupancy must be issued BEFORE occupancy.
Building Inspection Sequence
- Footer - must have engineered soil test submitted to building inspector for his approval prior to scheduling inspection before pour -36 inch frost depth. Zoning setbacks checked.
- Foundation - prior to backfilling -- After wall is stripped--Tie Holes plugged with Roofing cement-Wall coated with damp proofing-Bolts placed for plates.
- Framing - Rough Electric, Rough Plumbing, Rough Mechanical approval before scheduling framing. Construction plans with Res-checks must be on site. Fire stopping and Fire Caulking must be completed before scheduling a framing inspection.
- Insulation. - Res-Checks must be on site.
- Wallboard - Before spackling or painting.
- Final Building - Schedule after final plumbing/mechanical/electric/on lot grading is approved
Certificate of Occupancy is required prior to occupancy of any new building (except residential additions)
New construction, additions & alterations. Service updates/repairs; Pools (above & in ground); Cable TV; Furnaces (oil & gas); Security systems; Signs, Spas, Hot Tubs, Heat Pumps and A/C units.
- Rough - prior to insulation and drywall
- Final - After all equipment/fixtures have been installed.
- Service - New hook-up or upgrading of existing service
Please note: Electricians must be licensed with Lower Macungie Township, renewable each year.
New construction, ductwork, heating, cooking, refrigeration, etc. Rough and final inspections required.
New construction & repairs, sanitary sewer connections-residential & commercial; On-Site sewage - new & repairs; Perc test & soil probes.
- All underground plumbing including water and sewer connections
- Rough plumbing & mechanical - prior to insulation and drywall
- Final Plumbing & Mechanical- all fixtures/equipment installed. Water meter installed.
- As required for septics; percs; probes
Please note: Only Licensed Master Plumbers are allowed to perform work in Lower Macungie Township. They must secure either a Master or Journeyman business license from Township, renewable each year.
Please note: a minimum of 48 hours notice is necessary for scheduling of inspections
Office Hours: 8:00am to 4:00pm - Monday through Friday.
Pool Inspections - Above Ground:
Building - Rough
- Excavation and supports before backfilling around pool.
Electrical - Rough
- Trench open with conduit – Depth 18 inches.
- Equipotential Bonding Grid
- All wiring completed and tied into panel.
- Someone may have to be at home.
Building - Final
- Pool completed with enclosure at access area.
- Final electric approved.
Pools Inspections - In-ground:
Building - Rough
Excavation – Steel/Fiberglass
Electrical - Rough
- Bonding –all metal objects and pool light.
- Trench open with conduit –Depth 18 inches.
- Equipotential Bonding Grid-prior to pouring a concrete deck or installing pavers within 36 inches of the pool.
Electrical - Final
- All wiring complete and tied into panel.
- Someone must be home for access to panel box.
Building - Final
- Final electrical must be approved.
- Permanent fence must be installed with self-closing and self-latching gates.
- Pool Guard Alarms must be installed and working.
- Certificate of Occupancy will be issued to property owner before use of pool.