Trash and Recycling
Lower Macungie Township has contracted the services of Waste Management (contractor) for the collection and processing of residential garbage (municipal waste) and recyclable material. These contracted services do not pertain to Manufactured Home Parks, Apartments/Condominiums or Commercial establishments.
A full guide of What IS and IS NOT Collected for Trash / Recycling (Form for bulk item pick up is also located at the bottom of this page).
Services - Optional/Contractor
- Collection on private roads if accessible by truck can be added in certain areas but is subject to an annual fee.
- Curbside collection of yard waste - purchase grass bag tag at the Township building for $2.50 per bag.
- Large dumpsters for cleanups or remodeling jobs can be ordered directly through a hauler of your choice.
Weather - Inclement Weather Notices
- In case of inclement weather whereby trash collection is impractical, Waste Management will post notices of alterations or delays regarding collection on WFMZ Channel 69. Check for Waste Management - Allentown updates. Do not call the 800 number for Waste Management during inclement weather.
Click to view a list of Trash Days by Street Name and Development
2019 TRASH COLLECTION HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
Memorial Day - Monday, May 27th - No holiday collection, Mon-Fri services will operate one day delay throughout the week.
July 4th - Thursday, July 4th - No holiday collection, Thurs-Fri services will operate one day delay throughout the week.
Labor Day - Monday, Sept. 2nd- No holiday collection, Mon-Fri services will operate one day delay throughout the week.
Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, Nov. 28th - No holiday collection, Thurs-Fri services will operate one day delay remainder of the week.
Christmas Day - Wednesday, Dec. 25th - No holiday collection, Wed-Fri services will operate one day delay throughout week.
New Year’s Day - Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020 - No holiday collection, Wed-Fri services will operate one day delay throughout the week.
*IF A HOLIDAY IS NOT NOTED ABOVE, THERE ARE NO TRASH DELAYS. TRASH & RECYCLING WILL BE COLLECTED ON YOUR NORMAL DAY.
CHRISTMAS TREE COLLECTION - Click here for details.
RECYCLING CARTS - FAQs ( 65 and 35 gallon carts)
Click here for a short video from Waste Management on "Single Stream Recycling"
"Single Stream Recycling"
Waste Management and Lower Macungie Township has implemented a processing change for recyclables. The change (affecting only those households involved in Township contracted services) has provided for the recycling of more items in a timely manner. Residents can co-mingle all recyclables and place them in the recycling carts.
- Township supplied recycling carts
- cardboard boxes - can now be broken down, flattened and placed inside the recycling cart
- brown paper bags - can be used when shredding personal and sensitive documents. Place the shredded material inside the bag to avoid unnecessary debris blowing out of the recycling cart when it is being emptied. Also, newspapers & inserts, magazines & catalogs, junk mail & envelops and telephone books can now be placed in the recycling cart too.
- Aluminum and bi-metal beverage cans
- Steel cans (tin)
- Plastic soda bottles (PETE)
- Plastic milk and water bottles (HDPE)
- Clear, green and brown glass food containers
Recycling Rules and Regulations
The recyclable materials must be properly prepared before they are placed in the bins. All recyclables should be drained and free of food and other foreign materials. All cans, glass and plastic bottles should be rinsed and the lids must be removed. Plastic containers should be crushed to save space in your cart. The only glass items acceptable are food and beverage containers. Light bulbs, window glass, ceramics and dishes are not acceptable. Newspaper, junk mail, magazines and telephone books can now be placed in the cart since the lid will protect items from getting wet. Cardboard boxes can now be broken down and flattened and placed inside the cart.
The contractor will collect the recyclable materials at curbside every week. The contractor has the right to not empty any bin that does not meet the above regulations. The contractor may place a sticker on any bin not collected, detailing why it was not collected.
Make a difference! Help do your part to preserve the environment for you and your children.
All it takes is a few moments to separate recyclable materials from your trash.
Am I recycling correctly? Some additional helpful hints from Waste Management: "Recycle Often, Recycle Right"
Many recyclables can also be taken to:
Allentown Recycling Center at 15th & Martin Luther King Boulevard in Allentown (610) 437-8729. There is no charge and they are open 24/7/365 days per year. They accept: corrugated (brown) cardboard, gray cardboard (paperboard), newspapers, mixed color paper, magazines, hard & soft cover books, phone books, cans, aluminum foil, pie plates, glass bottles, plastic bottles (#1-#7), metal items, clothing, drapes, etc.
Advanced Disposal at 1725 Brookside Road, Wescosville accepts plastic, cans and glass (610) 366-7356. Hours of operation are weekdays 6:30 AM-4:00 PM.
**SEE FORM BELOW:
Your concern will be directed to the local Waste Management offices in this area and will be addressed on the next business day.
Trash and Recycling Form
This form is only to be used by residents who are included in the Waste Management Contract. This form does not pertain to manufactured home parks, apartments, condominiums or commercial establishments, since they contract with their own waste hauler.
NOTE: For collection of electronics or household hazardouse waste, please go to www.wmatyourdoor.com or call 800-449-7587 to schedule a pickup.