Sewer Lateral Inspection Program

Visual of sewer lateral from sewer mainline to house (JPG)

Sewer laterals and building sewers must be inspected prior to the sale and/or transfer of a property. The inspection must be performed by a licensed Journeyman or Master Plumber. The plumber must submit a completed Sewer Lateral Video Inspection Report, a copy of the video, and proof of licensure to Lower Macungie Township for final review and approval. Although not required, we highly recommend that an email address is included on the report in order to ensure that results are received prior to closing. Videos submitted electronically will not be accepted, as a physical copy of the video must be retained in the property file for at least five years. Videos submitted on a USB flash drive are preferred. Also, please note that the Township does not offer a plumber’s license exam. With that said, the Township will accept proof of licensure from any municipality that offers a plumbers' exam.

The results of an inspection shall be submitted to our main office, which located at 3400 Brookside Road, Macungie, PA 18062. From here, staff will log the inspection into our data system.  It will then be placed in the intermunicipal mail system to be sent to our Public Works Department for review. Subsequent to the review, our Sewer Crew Chief will issue a passing or failing grade. The property owner will be notified via mail - if an email was supplied, a digital copy of the pass or fail letter will be sent via email as well. If an inspection reveals that repairs are necessary, it is the property owner’s responsibility to conduct that work prior to the sale of a property. The results of a passing inspection are valid for up to two years.

A copy of the Ordinance may be found here. The Ordinance outlines inspection requirements, results of inspections, the correction of deficiencies/violations, transfer without inspection, violations and penalties, and remedies.  

If you have any general questions about the inspection program, please contact Zach Graves, Water Resource Specialist, at 610-966-4343 x121. If you have questions about the results of an inspection, please contact Mark Danishefsky, Sewer Crew Chief, at 610-966-4343 x122.

Why Are Sewer Lateral/Building Sewer Inspections Required?

During or following prolonged wet weather events, Allentown’s Kline’s Island Wastewater Treatment Plant may exhibit wet weather overflows. It is believed that these overflows are due, in large part, to inflow and infiltration.  Inflow is stormwater flowing directly into manholes and cleanouts, whereas infiltration is groundwater entering sewer pipes and/or manholes through defects. EPA estimates that at least 50% of I&I originates from private properties.

Sewer laterals are owned by the property owner and are not the responsibility of the Township, which generally brings about some level of uncertainty, as these lines are not regularly inspected. The Sewer Lateral/Building Sewer Inspection Program provides an avenue for these issues to be addressed.

What Companies are Certified to Perform Sewer Lateral Inspections?

The plumbers listed below have provided proof of licensure and are certified to perform sewer lateral video inspections within Lower Macungie Township: 

Licensed PlumbersPhone Number
Email Address
Agentis Plumbing610-432-6355
CDA Inspection Services610-509-3688
Deluxe Plumbing & Heating610-625-3699
Edwards Mechanical Contractors, Inc.610-533-0942
Elek Plumbing610-432-7001
Fenon Plumbing & Remodeling LLC610-739-2341
Frank Toth Total Plumbing & Heating Solutions610-866-0472
Fred J. Moyer Plumbing Inc.610-432-6629
JDL Plumbing610-704-7771
Lehigh Plumbing, LLC610-973-5070
Modern Plumbing & Heating Company610-435-2081
Robinson Plumbing610-351-9889
Schuler Service, Inc.610-434-7103
Tim Beil

With that said, you are by no means obligated to contract the plumbers mentioned above. If there is a contractor you would like to employ who is not listed, please confirm that they are a licensed Journeyman or Master Plumber before contracting their services. The contractor will need to provide the Township with proof of licensure.