2024 Trash/Recycling Changes
The Township was informed by its municipal waste hauling contractor, Waste Management Inc., of its decision not to extend the current contract when it expires August 2024. This is very disappointing news, but hardly surprising. While not exercising its renewal option, and offering no guarantee, WM expressed interest in responding to a new RFP (Request for Proposal) for the Township contract. Your Township government, well aware of the growing trend of steep municipal waste contract cost increases (South Whitehall, for example, has seen its new fees hiked by more than 62%), has internally begun a comprehensive review of the entire Township solid waste removal/recycling program as part of preparing, well in advance of the contract expiration, the new bid package. A primary goal is to control/manage costs, to the extent possible, but all should recognize that the waste hauling industry pricing trend is highly unfavorable at this time and for the foreseeable future. We will keep you posted through the website and at public meetings.
Also, see FAQ's in the right-hand pane.
Media Reports on "TrashFlation" Soaring Costs to Pennsylvania Customers
- Who is responsible for our residential trash collection and recycling services?
- When does the WM contract expire, and is it being renewed?
- What happens now; will we be without service after August?
- Is the new contract likely to be more costly?
- Has WM been picking up from all residences in the Township?
- Can an eligible homeowner decide to handle their own trash and recycling?
- Will residents have a voice in the contracting process?
- Will residents have to purchase new trash and recycling receptacles?
- Will the collection schedule remain the same?
- Is the bill payment schedule and method of payment likely to change?